Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Peaceful and Beautiful Hobby

I just had to show off what Chuck has made. He took stained glass classes a few months ago. This is a craft that he and I have always admired and wanted to do. The classes were a bit pricey, so since he is a better hands-on learner and I do better by reading and researching (the anal part of me) on the internet and by borrowing library books I ended up learning quite a bit that way. I figured he is there to show me in person any way. We still have so much to learn and I am sure trial and error is a great teacher.

Our dining room has quite literally been transformed to a workshop and office. But since we are not formal diners any way, we now use this room more then ever. Chuck has an awesome workstation built and I have taken over the table as the new job search station.


So for Chuck's second project he took on the Celtic Cross you see in the picture. His first project was the 6x6 Dragonfly beginner's project that you make in class. So when he showed his instructor what he was going to tackle for his next project she told him that it was"VERY AMBITIOUS". Now Chuck being who he is didn't waiver at all and look at the beautiful finished project coincidently finished on St. Patrick's Day. Oh how I love this new hobby of ours.

I am good at foiling, picking colors, finding good prices, ordering supplies and generally choosing the "next" project. In other words.... I am the cheering section. Next I will work my way to cutting and grinding the glass but the soldering skills could take me a while as that looks a little tricky. Eventually I plan to do it all and then I have visions of traveling to art festivals and selling our art and earning a living that way. We will buy a huge motor home, travel the states and live happily ever after!

No comments: